28 October 2011

Beatles: The Death and Replacement of Paul, The Untold Story

Beatles
The Death and Replacement of Paul
The Untold Story
By Ernie Schultze

Beatles, by Ernie Schultze, is a two hundred and fifty-eight page book that makes an incredible case for the controversial theory that the real Paul McCartney died at the height of the band’s success and was replaced by a look-alike. Initially, this subject caught me off guard. As an 80’s child, I knew little of the Beatles prior to reading this manuscript and I certainly knew nothing about a conspiracy surrounding Paul McCartney. Yet, after reading only a few pages I was hooked by Schultze’s enthusiasm and astounded by his intimate knowledge of the legendary band.

A mere few weeks ago I thought of the Beatles as just some trippy British guys that girls used to go crazy for, kind of like they did for New Kids on the Block when I was a child. While I knew the names of some of their albums, I had no idea of the significance behind those names or how groundbreaking their music really was. Luckily for me, this fabulous resource came along with twenty-one smartly written chapters that completely flipped upside-down what I thought I knew.

The mental fog dissipated as I read, and a clearer picture of not only the Beatles, but America, emerged. Schultze has skillfully woven cultural tidbits into the chapters, reminding the reader of what the world was experiencing at the time the Beatles became famous. He also lets us climb into the limo along with John, Paul, George and Ringo and feel their alarm as frenzied fans rock the vehicle side to side and press their tear streaked faces against the glass.

The pacing of this book is consistent and comfortable, making it easy to follow the unfolding events. The author keeps things refreshingly real in his depiction of the member’s lives, focusing much of the attention on John Lennon and Paul McCartney. I especially enjoyed the dialogue which is full of banter and had me laughing out loud more than once. The narrative is also well done, carefully detailing everything from their bad acid trips to the gruesome car wreck that takes the original McCartney’s life.

Schultze presents startling evidence of the elaborate cover-up of McCartney’s death. With great sensitivity he not only details the emotional repercussions it has on the band as well as the replacement “Paul” but he explains the economic hardships hitting England at that time and the British Government’s motives for the cover-up. A skeptic before reading the first page, I confess now I might just be a believer. I sincerely hope that Ernie Schultze pursues publication and I’ve asked him to keep me informed of his progress. When this enlightening book is available for purchase I’ll be sure to let you know!

4 comments:

  1. Sounds great! I hope he does get published. I am a long time Beatle fan and I can remember staring at the album covers as a child looking for the clues of Paul's death! You didn't make it clear if this is a work of fiction, told in story form, or more of an expose, which is it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patty,
    This is non-fiction, told in story form :) Thanks for stopping by! I'll let you know if and when the book becomes available.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jen, this book is now available on Amazon in a kindle edition at http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/tags-on-product/B005UOR0K4/ref=tag_dpp_cust_edpp_sa

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book will soon be available as hard cover by Argus Books.
    ES

    ReplyDelete